Before you can create categories, you must create “category groups” to contain them. Each category group lets you define the following:
- Whether categories in the group have URLs
- What the categories’ URLs should look like
- Which template should load if a category’s URL is accessed
- How many levels categories in the group can be nested
- Which fields categories in the group should have
To create a new category group, go to Settings → Categories and click the “New Category Group” button.
If you have at least one category group, there will be a “Categories” tab in the primary CP nav. Clicking on it will take you to the category index. From there you can choose a category group from the sidebar, and add/reorder/delete categories within it:
Double-clicking on a category will bring up a modal that lets you edit its name, slug, and any fields you’ve assigned to the group:
To assign categories to things, you must also create a Categories field. Each Categories field is connected to a single category group. Whatever you attach the field to (entries, assets, users, etc.) will be able to create relations to any of the categories within that group.